Registration of Death

What to do first

If the death occurs in hospital

When someone dies in hospital you will need to speak to the Bereavement Office. They will oversee paperwork that doctors complete, and the certificate that you take to the Registrars Office.

If death occurs at home
If the death was expected, for example a terminal illness, you should inform the doctor as soon as possible. The doctor will usually issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death. You will need to take this to the Registry Office to register the death. There is a legal requirement to do this within five days (including Saturday and Sunday).

Unexpected death
When someone dies unexpectedly, the death will be reported to the Coroners Office. A Coroners Officer will liaise with you and advise you on what will happen next. You can still contact us for help and advice, even at this early stage.

We have Chapels of Rest in which the deceased will be cared for pending the funeral.

The Coroner
In cases where the death has been reported to the Coroner the procedure is somewhat different. The Coroner and his officers are working in your interest.
After contact has been made by the Coroners Office, they will send paperwork to the Registrars office to allow the death to be registered.

How to Register a Death

Who can register

1. A close relative of the deceased
2. A relative or person who was in attendance at death
3. A relative living in the district where the death occurred
4. The person arranging the funeral
5. The occupier or manager of a home in which the deceased resided.

Documents required

1. The Medical Certificate of cause of Death
2. The Medical Card if available
3. The Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate (if the deceased was a married woman)

Information required by the Registrar

  • Date and place of death, and usual address of deceased
  • Full names and surname (including maiden name if the deceased was a married woman)
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Occupation (If the deceased was a married woman, the name and occupation of her husband)
  • Whether the deceased was in receipt of a Pension or Allowance from public funds.

For more detailed information please go to